Tuesday, September 29, 2009

To market, to market

I've been getting my craft on, besides my bow business, so that has eaten up my blogging time.
Crafts are so much fun, which is great except when you are having fun crafting and neglecting all the not so fun stuff like laundry BLAH.
My crafting kick also means lots of baking and cooking Yum Yum, but not good for the waistline.
Since we've had several weeks of illness, I got out of the dinner habit because it was a wast, but we are on the mend so I am back on the meal planning track. Here is a recent sample-
Kielbasa & HOMEMADE pierogies-so worth the effort! YUM YUM YUM
Chicken Chimichangas
Ravioli Bake-take frozen ravioli and layer it with sauce and cheese, easy and good.
MoJo Chicken & Rice
Sesame steak with asparagus
Sloppy Joes
Garlic Chicken w/ Orzo
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Chili
Mushroom Beef
Roasted Chicken

My grocery challenge was awesome because I learned some important lessons. I learned that I buy too much darn food! Even with menu planning, I get into a mentality of filling my freezer which can be great but not great if you do that every single time you shop. You end up with lots of food, and no plans for that food.
I am determined to keep shopping 1x a month,aside from milk and fresh veggies/fruits, and to use what I have. Instead of researching meal ideas and then shopping, I will look at what I have in my pantry/freezer and then find meals that use those ingredients.
I also now want a new fridge. I have a really pretty side by side stainless steel fridge and I HATE it. The side by side makes it hard to find things and the freezer makes it easy to "lose" things and the baskets are a joke. Since the previous houseowners barely cooked, the fridge just proves my theory that the appliances were purchased for looks as opposed to function-dont even get me started on my oven :)

No comments: